Fern Michonski / Fern’s Music
Pre-School Music Education Expert: The Children’s Advocate for Love, Learning and a Healthy Lifestyle.
Last month I was teaching preschool music and movement at one of the preschools where I work. We had been singing a variety of songs about Hanukkah, Christmas and snowmen. As I was packing up my guitar one of my little 4-year-old students came up to me and said, “Hey Miss Fern. You know that song about Santa knowing if you’ve been bad or good? Well, I’m somewhere between bad and good, leaning towards naughty!” He was so very serious and searched my face for an answer to his concerns. I squatted down to his level, cupped his little face in my hands and said, “Well, the key here is that you are trying to do better.” With that he flashed a huge smile and said, “Oh Yes Miss Fern! I am trying to do better!” I smiled at him and assured him he was all set.
This little guy made me smile, no doubt—but he also made me think. All of us, everywhere, should try to do better. It doesn’t take much time to reach out with kindness, each in our own way, to improve the world we live in. That is my New Year’s Resolution—TRY TO DO BETTER!
Here are a few suggestions:
• Say “Thank you” to the clerk tallying up our groceries—and mention the person’s name while saying it. Most grocery clerks wear name tags.
• Check in on a neighbor now and again, offering a friendly “Hi.”
• Smile at folks we meet on the street.
• Compliment someone for a job well done.
• Take the time to tell our children each and every day how much we love them.
None of these suggestions costs one cent. Here’s to a better 2016!!